Monday 15 February 2010

Business writers:artists or constructors?

What are you; a writer or a constructor of words?

In the past couple of years I've been helping people write books.  On business mostly.  And every time I start my intention is to show them how to do it faster and easier.  For some people this means destroying their fear of the blank page.  For others it means taking away the fear that they can't be a 'real' writer because they aren't creative.

I can understand both of these fears because I've been through those dark tunnels.  So destroying them for would be writers is a priority for me.

How we label things has impact we often don't understand till too late.  Like 'your grammar is rubbish'.  Or 'you don't have a creative bone in your body'. 

Too many people assume that they have to wait for inspiration before they begin.  I believe that's wrong.  All writing needs scaffolding like a new build.  It needs the support of a structure that assists you in moving through the process.

Now I revere writers.  People whose work I look in awe at and I think it would be impossible for me to write like them.  For example Chekhov and Shakespeare.  But that's not where my writing is situated.  I'm not writing masterpieces that will last for 500 years where the language has become an integral part of how we speak.

What I've evolved over the last 8 years is a way of writing that works in my situation.  That has taken away the fear of starting, creating something and finishing.  And it upsets me when I see otherwise effective, capable people put blocks in their own path by assuming that writing is different from every other activity.

It's not.  It can be taught, learned and passed on.  The skills that go into producing an article, a website or a book are all achievable by anyone who has acquired other skills.  Applying the same learning methods to writing can create amazing results for you in your life and businesses.

Because writing does change you.  However you achieve it, writing will alter how you feel about yourself.  Especially if you go on the adventure that is writing a book.  I defy anyone to try it and not be different at the end of the process.

It's scary.  You put your heart and soul on every page.   Even if no other human being reads it, you would still be different.   Now I'm not saying that you don't have to work at it.  And if you're honest you wouldn't expect that would you?   Everything else you've achieved has taken some effort.

Same thing with writing.

That's no reason not to start is it?  And if it helps to rename what you're doing, then go for it.  You can probably find enough pieces of business writing you've already done that you can use as your scaffold. 

Take a look.  You might surprise yourself at how fast you can collect enough for a book.

Good constructing!

No comments:

Post a Comment